The 23rd Operation Red Nose campaign in Kamloops is gearing up and we are getting ready to make the streets safer this holiday season. Last year we finished strong by providing 1313 safe rides over 15 nights of service. Kamloops finished 1st in the province by providing the most rides out of the 11 host communities! The success of the campaign would have not been possible without the support of the volunteers. We had 200 volunteers fill over to 650 volunteer positions over the 15 nights of service. These volunteers drove 28,386 kilometers over the 15 nights to get clients and their vehicles home safely.
How Do I Become a Volunteer?
If you volunteered in 2017 or 2018 please complete the following steps:
Step 1 - Complete the Operation Red Nose volunteer application form and email firstname.lastname@example.org, mail or drop off at the PacificSport office at the Tournament Capital Centre. You do not need to complete the Police Information Check.
If you are a new volunteer please complete the following steps:
Step 1 - Complete the Operation Red Nose volunteer application form and email email@example.com, mail or drop off at the PacificSport office at the Tournament Capital Centre. (This form in only for our purposes)
Step 2 - Print and fill out the Operation Red Nose Police Information and Vulnerable Sector Check Letter and the Police Information Check Form and take it to the RCMP Office on Battle Street or the North Shore Community Policing Office on 7th Avenue.
Step 3 - Hand in and present 2 pieces of ID (1 piece of Government issued photo ID and 1 piece of Government issued IC with your name and date of birth).
Step 4 - Pick up with the results when contacted by the RCMP from the Police Information Check and drop off original copy to the PacificSport Interior BC Office in the Tournament Capital Centre.
Step 5 - Your volunteer schedule will be emailed or mailed to you.
- Must be at least 21 years old and have a valid Class 5 driver's licence with a good driving record. The designated driver will drive the client's vehicle to the destination of choice.
- Must be at least 19 years old, have a valid Class 5 driver's licence, and have access to a vehicle.
- Escort driver will drive the volunteer team (made up of the designated driver, navigator and escort driver) to the location of the call, and then follow the client vehicle to its destination.
- The escort driver will operate cell phones to communicate with headquarters. Once the call is completed, the escort driver will return the team to headquarters.
- Escort drivers will be reimbursed for their fuel costs.
- Must be at least 19 years old. A driver's licence is not required. Reports to dispatch at headquarters to get the assignment for the team.
- The navigator accompanies the designated driver in the client's vehicle and will provide directions using a map of the area.
- The navigator prepares the receipt for the client and returns the clients keys along with a client envelope.
- At the end of the evening, the navigator reports in on behalf of the team and turns in all accreditation, vests, team briefcase and all donations.
- Answers incoming calls from the public wishing to use the service. Determines if the caller is operating a motor vehicle. If not, offers to call a taxi.
- Determines location of client and destination to be driven to. Ensures that this is within the boundaries of the service.
- Records all relevant information about the client, then passes this information on to the dispatcher.
- Coordinates the departure of all teams from the headquarters and maintains contact with the teams once they are on the road, sending them on new assignments via cell phones once a call has been completed.
- Greets volunteers as they arrive at headquarters. Makes sure everyone is checked in, check ID’s and has received their accreditation.
- Attends events such as the Operation Red Nose Media Launch, Lights in the Night, Santa Claus Parade and Blazers Games.
- At the event volunteers will hand out Operation Red Nose business cards to promote the service, escort the "Rudy" mascot and assist with other duties as needed.